Sneak peak! Behind the scenes of MY NEW SHOW!!!

Wow!  Can you believe it?  That’s me on the set of the pilot for my new TV show.  We started filming last month, and we wrapped it up last weekend — it’s so new we don’t even have a title yet.  What is this new show all about, you might ask?  It’s about bringing people together for food, connection, and laughter.  It isn’t just about cooking, it’s about relationships.  We all know that when you entertain, you build relationships with your guests, whether they are old friends, relatives, or perfect strangers. But you also build relationships with farmers, merchants, and artisans.  You spend more time at farmer’s markets and local shops, and you get to know the people who grow and raise the food we eat.  On this program, we celebrate all the ways that cooking and entertaining enrich the social and emotional aspects of our lives.

Here’s the teaser!

MIRI Teaser.flv

The concept for the show is precisely what I’m passionate about and it’s the lifestyle I live every day.  I love having dinner parties and brunches at my place, and I love bringing people together—sometimes people I don’t even know very well—for simple, wholesome human connection over a good meal.  So it wasn’t at all difficult for me to have a ton of fun on the set.  I loved every minute of it!  The kitchen we filmed in was fantastic and the crew was out-of-this-world.  Everyone showed up with unbelievable energy and enthusiasm for the project.  One crew member, in fact, brought me a cooler full of fresh herbs from his home garden to use on the set.  That’s his basil in the foreground of the photo above!  Now if that isn’t going above and beyond the call of duty, I don’t know what is.

On Day One of filming, I spent a good hour in hair and makeup, and then guess what happened?  I promptly got pooped on by a pigeon.  I swear, not a minute after I walked outside.  Luckily Mr. Poopy Pigeon only got my skirt.  And they say that’s good luck in showbiz, right?  (For your sake, I did not take a photograph of this event!)

Naturally, we started filming at the San Francisco Ferry Plaza farmer’s market.  The market stalls were teeming with summertime produce: bright green and yellow squash, purple hydrangeas, fire engine red tomatoes, and leafy green basil.  I had a blast chatting with the farmers who bring their goods from all over California.  We also filmed inside the Ferry Building, where I visited some of my favorite shops: Cowgirl Creamery, Acme Bread, San Francisco Fish Company, Stonehouse Olive Oil, and Farm Fresh to You.   These stores are all locally owned and operated, so they are near and dear to my heart as a native San Franciscan.  The shop keepers are passionate about their products and extremely knowledgeable; I learn something new every time I stop by to say hello.

Then we headed over to my favorite bakery in all of Northern California, Tartine.  I felt it was important to incorporate an element of convenience into the show. Why spend all day making dessert when you can pick something up instead?  I’m all about making things easier for myself, so I can be a better hostess when my guests arrive.  The gals at Tartine helped me pick out a luscious lemon cream tart — the perfect finishing touch for a light summery meal.  And then it was time to head back to the set and start cooking!

Back on the set, I started preparing dinner for eight: salmon with a tomato-nectarine salsa, oven-roasted fingerling potatoes, and some gorgeous green and yellow zucchini.  I did most of the work on a grill pan, which made all the food prep super easy.  But I won’t give the recipes here, you’ll have to watch the show!

And it couldn’t be a show about entertaining if I didn’t actually invite all my friends over for a party, so that’s just what I did.   We dined and drank and laughed until the wee hours, and the film crew caught it all on tape.   It was a real party, with real people, amazing food, and genuine connection.  We had a really, really good time.

And that, dear readers, is why this show is going to be the best new show on television!

Click here for more photos from the set!

This entry was posted in Entertaining, Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Sneak peak! Behind the scenes of MY NEW SHOW!!!

1. Tricia Rose says:

You did it! Well done Miri – when can we see?

2. Melanie says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What network is it on?

• miri says:

I don’t know yet, Melanie! This is just the pilot, which we are pitching to Food Network (of course!) and they are very likely to pick up the first season. But if they don’t, it could go to Bravo or TLC or somewhere else. I wish I knew, the anticipation is killing me!

3. Herodia says:

Beautiful, beautiful! Love your new site! Absolutely gorgeous, just like you.

4. Meghan says:

Well, I know we just met, but I’m truly THRILLED for you. TLC or Food Network? How exciting. I love when good things happen to good people.

Can’t wait to follow this blog as your pilot gets picked up! I’ll watch for sure :-)

5. AS says:

MIRI!!!! Your new site is absolutely lovely and totally gorgeous!!! Congrats!!!

Yes being out of town has kept me out of the loop but I’m shocked to see how quickly things have moved a long! Absolutely thrilled for you and can not wait to hear how all of it has been going. =)

6. Sophie says:

Well done, Miri!! That’s great for you,..another TV show!!

thanks for sharing this with us!!

Kisses from Brussels!

7. Katherine Buss says:

Wow! It’s so exciting to have had lunch with an up and coming TV Star! And just as exciting, it was just plain wonderful to have seen you and to have heard about your life in the past 20 years! I want to add my praise to the comments above, and to say that not only do your recipes and photos of the desserts look and sound really delicious and enticing, but also I think the design of your whole blog is really beautiful, very tasteful, colorful, with a graceful logo at the top, and the whole thing is pleasing to the eye. Very appropriate, since your blog has to do with something that is so important and so pleasurable — wonderful, delicious FOOD, shared with friends! Once again, it was so great to see you today!

Kathy

8. Zahra Khan says:

WOW! Your awesome! I always thought u should have been on food network! But your OWN show is even BETTER

• miri says:

Thank you Zahra! It has been so exciting to film this show. I think it will end up on Food Network, but I don’t know when. I will definitely let you know as soon as I know! xoxo

9. Jennifer Schultz says:

The blog looks so great! I can’t wait to see the final cut:)

10. Makeez says:

You did it Miri! I’m so elated and slightly jealous! But my love for any human being, pushing forward and following their heart…makes me feel MORE elated then “slightly”, jealous. lol

Remain strong. Take good care of yourself. Don’t lose your mind, because your so excited. Eat well, read good books, watch beautiful things, and rest. Everything is as it should be. Don’t worry. Just relax. You did EVERYTHING you could. Cross your fingers! I’m sending you ALL my blessings and warmest wishes. Best of luck!

• miri says:

Thanks Makeez! Your advice means a lot to me because I’ve been wringing my hands with anticipation of the finished episode. It’s tough to be patient and not worry about what the future holds! Your message is soothing and your advice is very wise.

11. Kate says:

Wow the set looks really cool! I love all the colors and food products. And you look beautiful, of course. I can’t wait to see the show!

12. -CK says:

Wow! Congrats! How fantastic!

13. Miri, congratulations! Looks like your show is going to be incredible! I’m a huge fan of the Ferry stores as well. Cowgirl Creamery and Acme Bread are two of my absolute favs! Give me a slice of Mt. Tam and a sweet baguette any day!

Best of luck in getting picked up by a network. Any of the biggies would be lucky to have you! Looks like you have a great “recipe for success”! I look forward to seeing the show when it airs!

14. Judy says:

Congratulations on your new show – can’t wait to see it – enjoy your recipes & hearing how well you are doing – very proud of you!!!!

• miri says:

Hi Judy! Thank you so much for your note! I miss seeing you but it makes me happy that we are staying connected at least in this little way. I hope to see you on my next visit to Roseville.

15. Sean Reid says:

Hey Miri!! I just wanted to say, I have looked through your site and i am very impressed!! You seem like you have a great passion for food! And im glad that there is someone comeing on tv that truly has passion for what they are doing!! I wish the best of luck to you!! Not that you will need it!! I also wanted to say thanks for following my website on twittter!! You were one of the first to follow!! THANKS! My site is still in the makeing lol not as good as yours but im haveing so much fun makeing it lol!! I have a few questions for you, but i would much rather email you them!! I will use the email you give on the homepage of this site! If there is another email you would like me to use please let me know! Thanks Miri! :)

16. Pingback: This is me, cooking dinner | Miri Leigh

17. Chef Chuck says:

Nice job, love that broadcasting. So true, family, friends, and food always bring happiness !

18. marla says:

Miri….this is awesome! I am looking forward to watching your cooking show. You are so fun to watch & oh how I would LOVE to attend one of your dinner parties! xo

• miri says:

Thanks so much, Marla! I am still working on the network deal and I hope it gets picked up soon! You will be among the first to know. xoxo