Fresh Fruit Tart

Nothing says summertime quite like a fresh fruit tart. I take slices of berries, kiwis and apricots and arrange them on top of a sweet, custardy pastry cream, all encased by a tender shortbread tart crust. It’s a light dessert that looks so good, you won’t want to eat it.

NEW: Want to see a video demonstration for how to prepare this fruit tart?  Click here!

Prepare the tart crust:

8 tablespoons butter, cold
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 scant cups flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons heavy cream

In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse the butter and sugar together until combined. Add the flour and salt, pulse a few more times. Add the yolk and cream, pulse just until incorporated. The dough should be slightly crumbly (not wet) but should hold together when pinched.

[If you don't have a food processor, place the butter, sugar, flour and salt in a medium bowl and cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or two knives. Combine the yolk and cream in a separate bowl, then add the yolk mixture to the sugar mixture.]

Turn the dough out into a 9 .5 by 1 inch tart pan and press into the pan with your palms, working the dough up the sides with your fingers and pressing it evenly around the rim. (The pad of your thumb should be on the dough, while the pad of your index finger should be on the outside of the pan as you work your way around it.) Trim any overhanging bits of dough with a knife. Watch out for “thin spots” around the edge of the dough, as they will burn easily.

Chill for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven to 325 F. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is golden.

Prepare the pastry cream:

2 large eggs
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and cornstarch, whisking until the cornstarch is completely absorbed. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the half-and-half

In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining half-and-half, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Whisk 1/4 cup of the hot half-and-half mixture into the eggs, then pour all of the egg mixture back into the boiling half-and-half, whisking constantly. The mixture will become very thick. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla and butter.

Transfer to a bowl and immediately press a piece of greased plastic wrap over the top of the cream to prevent a “skin” from forming.

Assemble the tart:

When the pastry cream and tart crust have cooled, spoon the cream into the crust and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Arrange slices of strawberries, kiwi, apricots, and whole berries on top of the cream in concentric circles, starting along the outer edge. Using evenly-sliced, similarly sized pieces of fruit will produce the most attractive results. Make sure your fruit is dry and unblemished.

When your design is complete, brush the fruit gently with melted apricot jelly. (Place 1/4 cup in the microwave in a small glass bowl, then brush on with a pastry brush. If all you’ve got is jam, strain it.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Baking & Cake Decorating, Recipes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Fresh Fruit Tart

1. Chris says:

That looks ridiculously good. The colors are amazing and is almost to beautiful to eat…almost :)

2. BethieofVA says:

Unbelievably beautiful!

3. Miri says:

Gosh, thanks Chris and BethieofVA! I just made a short film on how to make this tart, demonstrating the fruit arrangement technique (which can be tricky) so check back soon for that. Hope to have it up within a week or so.

4. CatKool says:

Can you use frozen fruit as opposed to the fresh ones?

5. Miri says:

Hi CatKool! No, you really can’t use frozen, and here’s why: When you freeze fruit, the membranes break down so that when the fruit thaws, all of the juices are exuded. You’d end up with a soggy mess on top of your tart. (Just try thawing some frozen strawberries in a bowl and you’ll see what I mean. They turn to mush!) Fresh, firm fruit is best. My faves are: sliced strawberries, whole blackberries, raspberries and/or blueberries, kiwi (sliced and peeled), and apricot.

6. Jo says:

Can you please tell me what half and half is for the fresh fruit tart?

7. Miri says:

Hi Jo. Half-and-half is equal parts heavy cream and whole milk. Here in the States, you can usually buy it in the dairy section of any grocery store. If it isn’t available where you live, you can mix your own or just use one or the other. Using all heavy cream will make a slightly richer pastry cream, while using all whole milk will make it a bit lighter. Either way, the tart will be delicious! Please let me know how it turns out.

8. Pingback: Laura | Carmen » Blog Archive » My video debut!!

9. Chef Chuck says:

Refreshing and a healthy morning ~ Very nice~

10. Jenn says:

Thank you for the recipe! I just tried it today and it was yummy!

11. Amber says:

I just found your site today. Very impressive. I’m going to make this for my friends birthday on Monday. I hope mine looks just as beautiful! Thanks!

• Miri says:

Thanks for your comment, Amber! Let me know how your fruit tart turns out. It is such an elegant dessert. BTW I have a video on YouTube on how to assemble it and arrange the fruit. Be sure to check it out!

12. Michelle says:

Oh, my, god. Unbelievably delicous is all i can say!! Merci ! Nous vous remercions de le recipie pour Tarte de fruits frais ! Il a été delicous ! C’est dans le réfrigérateur il dès maintenant. Je ne peux pas attendre de creuser ! (I wouldrecommend you translate it ^.~

13. makeez says:

Hi Miri. I made this today! It came out so delicious, so thank you very much! My friends that LOVE Fruit Tart were so impressed and loved every morsel, as did I…and I’m not a fruit tart lover. Now, I’m led to believe it’s because I never had a GOOD one. So as of today, I’m officially a lover of this dessert as well. It’s such an elegant and beautiful dessert.

Just wanted to point out that on your video you mentioned 375 degrees, but on the written instructions you wrote 325 degrees. Just wanted you to know, incase anyone else was confused by it….Perhaps it’s a good idea to fix it :)

Anyhow, thanks again!

• Miri says:

Hi Makeez! Thanks for pointing that out. Definitely go by the written recipe… sometimes during filming I get a little flustered and say the wrong thing. But I’m getting better all the time! I’m glad you tried this recipe and that it came out well. Keep in touch!

14. Zahra Khan says:

Hi Miriam!,

Your food is awesome! My name is Zahra and I come from Pakistan and I am 12 1/2 years old. I discovered you on youtube and your deserts are awesome. I told my mom about it because your recipes were easy and tasty and my mom is a full fledge doctor as well as my father so they have very busy schedules. She started making your dessert and people were amazed how good her deserts were. We love your food and can’t wait for more recipes. This is my favorite recipe of all except…. i just had 1 quick question….Could i use a gram cracker crust? I bought one and forgot you put a recipe up for one also i cant find an empty one….

Ok, Thanks again,

Love,
    Zahra

• miri says:

Hi Zahra! First, I have to tell you that I love your name! I have always said that if I ever have a daughter I will name her Zahra. I am not kidding! Many of my friends are from Pakistan and it is my favorite name. I am so glad you wrote to me! So, about the graham cracker crust… you can certainly use it! It will be a little different than the recipe on my blog, which is more like a shortbread crust. It’s really about preference. You can make it both ways and decide which one you like better. Will you let me know how they turn out?

15. Carolyn Tran says:

Hello! I just wanted to asked for this recipe if we use these pie/tart pans (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=119150&RN=871&amp ;)
    1: How long do I put it in the oven for?
    2: If I don’t have the food processor, can we put the crust ingredients into a mixer?

- Thank you!

Sincerely,

Carolyn

• miri says:

Hi Carolyn! Thanks for writing. I don’t know if those pans will work — the sides are so sloped, I fear the crust will slide down into the middle before it bakes properly. If you want to try, you can press the crust up the sides and then cover it with parchment paper, then fill the pans with rice or dry beans to keep the dough in place. It’s worth a shot. I would bake them for about the same amount of time, but keep an eye on them. Remove them as soon as they turn golden. (Though this will be hard to see if they are filled with rice/beans!) If you don’t have a food processor, I would use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the butter into the flour, then blend the rest by hand. The mixer will probably overwork the dough and make it tough.

Hope this helps! Please let me know how it turns out.

• Carolyn Tran says:

I actually buy a food processor, but it was mini-3 cup one. it still worked. instead of putting it in the freezer, i just left the dough sit in the frig over night. I’ll bake it tomorrow and the rest to see how it turns out. I’ll take a picture and show you once I’m done with the finished product. thanks for your help!

16. Carolyn Tran says:

Oh okay. Thanks so much! So I leave the rice/beans in the crust while baking? Will do. I’ll take a picture of it when I tried it out this weekend! Thanks so much!

17. Aisha says:

Hi Miri!

I was wondering by the way did you used a plain flour or self-raising flour to make the tart?. Thank you so much for the recipe and I’m gonna make it next week for my birthday! :D .

• miri says:

Hi Aisha! A fruit tart will be so lovely for your birthday! Definitely use regular all-purpose flour, not self-rising. Let me know how it turns out or, better yet, send a photo! I would love to see it.

18. Theresa says:

Hi Miri, this looks delicious but had a q’s on the fruit tart filling you mention to use eggs but on the video it mentions yolks so do we use the full eggs or just the yolks?
    thanks cant wait to make this

• miri says:

Hi Theresa! The written recipe is definitely correct, so please follow that. I’m sorry for the confusion, I may have used a slightly different version when we filmed the video. Both will turn out awesome though! xoxo

19. Suni says:

Hi miri,I wanted to know the measurements for the fruit tart if I used an 11 inch tart pan.i love fruit tart and have finally found a recipe that is easy to make. I wanted to make it for a Christmas party

• miri says:

Hi Suni — You can probably increase everything by 25% and that should do it. You may have a little extra filling, but you can always just eat it with a spoon. :)